Tuesday 7 October 2014

Follow Up: Sailor Senshi Shiny Hair

Alright so we're about to get a little insight on pretty much my entire hair arsenal. If you've got hair that could use a little bit of loving (especially colour, chlorine, or sun damaged hair), but you don't want to drop that $400 on a Keratin treatment (hint: never ever do), there are a lot of alternatives.

Remember when my hair was a real, actual shade of blue?


Then it became this weird combination of dirty-hippie meets beachy-mermaid, because blue washes out faster than any other shade:
 Before I re-dyed it again (see my post on dying my hair pink-purple).

Pretty miraculously, it's managed to stay nice after all that fading and salt water. I'm surprised it's this soft for sure, and surprised that the colour is clinging in such a nice, pastel way, but that doesn't mean I haven't been treating my hair with the delicacy of a newborn baby... because I have.

Here's what I did: 
  1. First, some washing tips: avoid overwashing your hair, especially if you're already putting other conditioning products into it. Also, detangle your hair when it's damp or almost dry; towel it down first. 
  2. So happy with the Kevin Murphy hair mask. This deep conditioning hair mask tamed my split ends and made my hair a lot shinier. Instead of regularly condition for 5-10m like the bottle says, once a week I've been soaking it into my hair and then applying heat to it for 20m before washing it out.
    Price: $30
  3. Boar bristle brush to reduce frizz and fly aways. I only use it on rare occasions when my hair is a bed-headed mess, but it really does make a difference. The only two very important things to remember: don't use a boar bristle brush on wet hair or on hair that has not already been detangled.
    Price: Varies. As cheap as $13
  4. Buy a pair of scissors that specifically cut hair. When you see a split-end starting, cut it off. It's tempting to use regular scissors, but those are rough enough that they will often make your ends worse in the long run.
    Price: Usually around $10
  5. Pantene Perfect 10 BB Creme. This is it. This is my newest secret. This is my how-is-this-from-Shoppers-and-only-seven-dollars-because-it-does-everything Saving Grace. I apply it once or twice a day and all I have to do is brush it in. If you can only do one thing on this list, get this one.
    Price: $7
  6. Before my hair was coloured, I used to use hot coconut oil at-home treatments, which is literally just warm coconut oil (like, that people cook with) that you massage into your hair for half an hour to an hour before washing out. 
And that's it! If you've got any other tips or tricks on hair that I'm missing, especially for delicate hair, let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment