Thursday 27 November 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition (Background)

Update on Dragon Age! Oh, how I've missed living vicariously through my Warden/Hawke/Inquisitor. It's been nice to have you back in my arms, Bioware (do I sound creepy yet?).

Here's some background information on the setting of the games:


If you haven't played Dragon Age: Origins or what most people consider its disappointing successor (myself not included), Dragon Age: II, here's a very general backstory for you.

The story takes place in the world of Thedas. Fun fact: Thedas stands for TheDaS, as in: The Dragon Age Set.

The first 2 games only take place in the Kingdoms of Fereldan to the south and Kirkwall to the East. We hear a lot about Orlais, the wealthy, cultured nation reminiscent of historical France for much of those two games,and it's exciting that we're finally getting to see what it looks like!

A lot of reference has been made to Orlais that I'm expecting big things (that are accurate to the portrayal in earlier games).

If Dragon Age had another game (which I feel like it won't), I would love to see Antiva, Tevinter, Nevarra as the setting, three other places which are simply marked as "faraway foreign lands" rather than getting really fleshed out.

The maps so far seem huge, and it seems like they've really taken a few obvious pages out of the Elder Scrolls' book. I could see myself logging a few hundred hours on it, is that excessive?

The fast travel system (always able to fast travel to any of the camps that you've already established) flows well. It stops the travelling of the game from getting tedious but also doesn't let the game get too easy.

More updates on background to follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment