Monday 5 January 2015

How I Handle: New Years Resolutions

Did you know that only 8% of people fulfill their resolutions? I don't know if that's surprisingly low or high.

I read somewhere that it's because of how we look at resolutions: we see them as goals rather than changes we have to make to ourselves. If we want to go to the gym regularly, once we start doing this, we tend to get slack before it becomes a habit or lifestyle.

It seems to me that successful resolutions change your habits/mindset/daily schedule.

Unsuccessful resolutions are ones where you reach a "goal" and then allow yourself to "relax" afterwards when you should really learn to permanently change that habit, or goals that are vague enough that you find yourself working around them. For example, weight goals where you want to gain or lose to a certain amount-- if you're not changing your habits that got you there, you're just going to get or lose it all soon after.

Last year was my first New Years resolution: "go to the gym every day." Which, as always, I followed excellently until I got terribly sick, lost all of my progress, and then lost motivation to gain it all back.

SO! I've made a set of new-New Years resolutions. They're pretty regular resolutions, but I think I can do them because i am re-wording them and think that i'm approaching resolutions right this time.


  • Drink at least 1 bottle of water a day (instead of "Be healthier")
  • Write a list of books I'd like to read and finish them by the end of the year (instead of "Read more")
  • Spend less time on your phone
  • Spend more time with other people even when you don't feel like it 
  • Higher GPA in 2nd semester (it doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's an improvement)
  • Grow as a person. Learn what that means to you, and mature. 
As you can see, I'm not trying to explicitly be something or someone else. I'm just trying to change little habits or points of view that will hopefully lead me to becoming a better person. One who is more educated, more attentive to her surroundings, and pre-meditated in her actions. 

What are your resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment